Monday, August 23, 2010

Jeweled Combs

This morning on my walk through Moravia, it was not much different than from any other day. The traffic had died down, busses had ran their principal morning routes, stores were opening. The usual.

Toward the end of my walk, I passed by an old house. This house is painted green and was probably part of a coffee plantation long since covered over with houses and small businesses. The porch has antique, Spanish tiles laid as it's center diagram. I bet these tiles weren't antique when first planned for this house. On this porch, sweeping feverishly was an elderly lady. I used the term "lady" for in a split second anyone could see that is what she was. Her hair was white as cotton and brushed into it's fashion for the day, kept in place with several jeweled combs. She had on beautiful dangling earrings and a matching necklace. It looked as though it had been a souvenir from past travels. A simple white blouse with colorful trim and a pale blue skirt was her chosen ensemble.

As I past her, I spoke, "Buenas Dias".
She looked up quickly and smiled a bright, cheerful and sincere smile and responded joyfully, "Buenas Dias"!
She kept sweeping and I kept walking. For a few more steps.
I turned around, and asked her pardon for interrupting her sweeping, (manners and humility go a long way in the Costa Rican culture), I asked did she know how much the house was across the street; pointing to a small house with a "SE VENDE" sign in the front window.
Smiling and leaning over the bannister of her porch, she said, "No sir, I don't know the price of the house, but if you call the number listed, I'm sure they can help you".
She talked a bit more about the house, and the neighborhood. Her Spanish was perfectly spoken with the same careful diction of my high school English teacher, Miss Francis Odom. I could not understand every word she said, but it did not matter. I wanted to hear her speak.

I thanked her, wished her a good day to which she wished me a good day as well.
I continued my walk and she began sweeping again.

In the first place, I was pretty certain she did not know the price of the house across the street, but that is not why I asked her.
I just wanted to hear her. I wanted to engage her - and myself. I got what I hoped for. I got sincerity, communication, a lesson in Spanish. A positive interaction. It changed my attitude.

This morning I drove Dennis to work. My impatience was toyed with as I dodged cars, got cut off and just watched what I consider to be the lack of and inconsiderate driving habits. I hate traffic and have little patience for it. My worst comes out in the passive-agressive business of driving. Until I decided to turn and ask the lady about the house, my attitude was still out in traffic - I was walking around like I was driving. Shake it off!! Get over it!! It's not personal!!

I needed that sincere, joyful "Good Morning" from the lady with the jeweled combs to get myself back to a better attitude with which to start my day over. I'm glad she likes a clean porch.

No comments: